In almost every call and email we get these days from customers interested in our Mobile Game Theater, we get the same few questions.
“How much does it cost?”
“How many kids can fit?”
“Do you have FORTNITE?”
The last question has become even more common than the other two! And with good reason: Fortnite has become a worldwide overnight sensation, boasting over 125 million players in just one year in their Battle Mode!
Why is Fortnite so popular? According to Polygon, the reasons are several:
- A perfectly parceled span
- Sense of achievement
- Smart design
- Easy for beginners (I can attest to that, not being very good at online multiplayer shooters)
- Cost is free for Battle Royale mode (not including in-game upgrades)
- Short wait times
- Easy to learn building skills (a la Minecraft)
- Celebrity participants
- Fewer incidents of bad behavior by fellow players
- Appeals to casual players as well as seasoned veterans
So why, with all that said, doesn’t EZPZ offer this evidently amazing game? We have a couple of reasons:
- Fortnite, along with similar online multiplayer games like Overwatch and Roblox, limits the amount of players that can participate at once. We prefer local multiplayer games so there’s much less of a chance that a guest is waiting around or doesn’t get a turn playing.
- We would have to rely on a mobile hotspot in order to play just on one console, and we’ve found that having consistent coverage in our area is rather hit or miss.
That said, we are looking at options that would provide unfettered internet access to our Mobile Game Theater at a cost that is reasonable, thus avoiding having to raise our prices (which we haven’t done in our 3+ years here on the Central Coast!).
Until such time, we’ll be letting our customers know that while we can’t do Fortnite for now, we still have a sizable video game library with super popular local multiplayer titles!